General Artnet Questions

How to configure DMX from different sources to Vision

Moderator: Edward

AJ@esp
Site Admin

General Artnet Questions

Postby AJ@esp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:22 am

If you are connecting a specific console to ESP Vision that we have provided guidance on under this Topic, please follow the specific instructions there. However, here are some general things that you may need to consider if you are still having issues.

First, DO NOT INSTALL the Artistic License DMX Workshop from their website. This can corrupt some files that we rely upon. If you have done this, uninstall DMX Workshop, reboot the computer, and reinstall Vision 2.3 PC.

Secondly, Vision itself needs Artnet IP address 2.0.0.1 to be left unassigned. Therefore, be sure that you have not assigned that IP address to either the console, Vision PC computer or any other Artnet nodes on the network.

Finally, Artnet Nodes/Subnets are Hexidecimal, beginning with 0. Therefore, use the following chart to map Artnet universes to ESP:

ESP Universe 1 = Artnet Universe 0-0
ESP Universe 2 = Artnet Universe 0-1
ESP Universe 3 = Artnet Universe 0-2
ESP Universe 4 = Artnet Universe 0-3
ESP Universe 5 = Artnet Universe 0-4
ESP Universe 6 = Artnet Universe 0-5
ESP Universe 7 = Artnet Universe 0-6
ESP Universe 8 = Artnet Universe 0-7
ESP Universe 9 = Artnet Universe 0-8
ESP Universe 10 = Artnet Universe 0-9
ESP Universe 11 = Artnet Universe 0-A
ESP Universe 12 = Artnet Universe 0-B
ESP Universe 13 = Artnet Universe 0-C
ESP Universe 14 = Artnet Universe 0-D
ESP Universe 15 = Artnet Universe 0-E
ESP Universe 16 = Artnet Universe 0-F
ESP Universe 17 = Artnet Universe 1-0
ESP Universe 18 = Artnet Universe 1-1
ESP Universe 19 = Artnet Universe 1-2
ESP Universe 20 = Artnet Universe 1-3

and so forth. Vision currently supports 64 universes of Artnet.

Also, Vision 2.3 PC only supports Artnet natively that is in the 2.x.x.x range of IP addresses. If you have a console that is outputting 10.x.x.x, and wish to continue using this, you will need to contact us for an additional file, and setup instructions.
AJ
ESP Vision Support
aj@espvision.com

Robby Wolf

Connectivity to PC Check

Postby Robby Wolf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:43 pm

If you have connected a console to the Vision PC, you can test the connectivity through the Artnet Icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen.

Once you right-click on the little Artnet icon, select Data Monitor to open the following dialog:

There will be a selection for all the universes that you are using via artnet from the console

If there are no universes listed, then the computer is not receiving Artnet, and you should go back to the Network configuration section of the appropriate post in DMX Connectivity.

To verify that you are actually recieving data on a particular universe, select it in the drop down, and you should see the DMX values change as the console changes.

If not, verify that the Art-Net Universe identifier (0-0, 0-1, 0-2...) in accordance with the Hexadecimal table above. Once you are properly seeing data in the Data Monitor window, Vision will be able to react to it.

If you continue to have questions or issues, don't hesitate to contact us at support@espvision.com.

Robby

Brucehig

Chamsys PC

Postby Brucehig » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am

I am thinking about purchasing a Chamsys Magic Maxi Q PC programming wing and I believe I can connect the console via (2) Enttec DMX Pro for the 2 universes of ESP I currently own, but I will have my console on the road and will need to pre program shows with the Chamsys offline editor on my home desk top, how can I connect these two? Thanks

ThomasD

Postby ThomasD » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:26 am

Just use the ArtNet Output of Chamsys, regardless whether you have the programming wing connected to your PC or not. So you don't even have to buy any DMX Input converters.
ESPVision Network Germany - German PVP
www.esp-network.de

dwillems

Postby dwillems » Fri May 27, 2011 5:12 am

should it be working with (new) demo version ?
I doesnt' see network selection window on starting, I can't get artnet data, there is no "artistic licence" icon on bottom right...

If I run tools/art net diag application, it works... but not in vision

win7 32bit AND 64bit, run as administrator

AJ@esp
Site Admin

Postby AJ@esp » Tue May 31, 2011 12:06 pm

Due to dll limitations, we no longer use the Artistic License plugins. You should no longer see the Artistic License tray-icon bar. What console are you using?

Demo does work with Artnet
AJ

ESP Vision Support

aj@espvision.com

Dlights

Postby Dlights » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Greetings folks. I am trying to get my Chamsys PC wing running on a Windows 7 machine to talk to my rendering system which is also WIndows 7.

Both PC currently static on my home LAN.

Render Machine - 192.168.2.100
Chamsys PC - 192.168.2.200
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default GW - 192.168.2.1

Not seeing any artnet traffic on the render machine. I have disabled firewalls, etc. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction?
'Be the change you wish to see in the world.' --Ghandi

AJ@esp
Site Admin

Postby AJ@esp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:12 am

Can you ping between the 2 computers? That is the first think I would check. If not, then that indicates some breakdown in the IP Network connection. Try pinging from both directions. I`m not sure you need a default Gateway... unless you actually have that IP address assigned to a hub of some sort. Try removing the gateway from both machines.

If that doesn`t allow you to ping, then check cables, hub, etc for hardware failures. Other than the gateway issue above, it seems that things should be good to go. If still no joy, let me know, and I`ll think some more on it.
AJ

ESP Vision Support

aj@espvision.com

Return to “DMX Connectivity”